Nourishing Our Employees // Extraordinary Workplace
Health and Wellness
Wellness is important when it comes to our products and our people. Campbell benefit programs represent a significant investment in our employees and their families. Given our global population, we offer a range of competitive programs unique to our varying countries and locations that are aligned with state and local regulations. We take a holistic approach to wellness that encompasses physical health, mental well-being, and financial security now and in the future.
U.S. Program Highlights
Campbell pays most of the cost for our U.S. healthcare offerings and makes significant contributions to a full menu of wellness, work/life, retirement, and income protection programs. We also review our plans regularly to ensure that our benefits package is in line with our competitive market.
In 2010, Campbell was honored by the National Business Group on Health as one of the nation's leading corporations for innovative programs promoting a healthy workplace and for helping its employees and their families to make better choices about their health and well-being. Our broad range of U.S. programs and resources includes:
- Medical Decision Support (MDS™): This high-touch service provides comprehensive, objective and personalized information about diagnoses and treatment options for over 60 medical conditions.
- Health Station Tour: Employees participate in voluntary on-site biometric screenings and health education counseling, with referrals and enrollment in appropriate wellness programs.
- Online Health Assessment: Employees and their spouses can complete an online questionnaire about their health habits that provides them with a confidential, personalized analysis of current health status and risks, which they are encouraged to share with their physicians.
- Free & Clear: Employees and eligible dependents may enroll in this free smoking-cessation program, which includes Nicotine Replacement Therapy if appropriate, once every 12 months.
- Worksite Wellness Programs: Free flu shots, walking programs, healthy cooking demonstrations with guest chefs, and healthier food options in our company cafeterias and vending machines are available.
- Fitness Centers: On-site fitness centers are available at a number of locations, including World Headquarters in Camden, Campbell Canada, and some plant locations. Fitness center discounts are offered to all U.S. employees.
- Your Life Resources: This confidential round-the-clock service provides employees and their families with support and counseling, as well as resources for many topics including parenting, work-related situations, legal and financial issues, and substance abuse or self-improvement.
Measuring Our Success
We believe an important indicator of program success is the level of employee satisfaction with the programs, in addition to improvements in behavior, health outcomes, clinical performance indicators, and medical decision-making. We have seen impressive outcomes for many of our U.S. health and wellness programs:
- 1,685 employees have used MDS™ services since FY2006. 88% of survey respondents indicate this service helped them become more involved in their care, while 76% said it improved their communications with doctors.
- 48% of eligible employees received flu shots in FY2009.
- 1,932 employees completed the online health assessment in FY2009.
- 1,255 employees participated in our 2009 Health Station Tour, with 95% of on-site screening participants indicating that they felt more motivated to take health improvement action.
- Aetna's MedQuery™ program provided wellness and quality of care information to over 6,500 participants, resulting in a healthcare plan savings of approximately $10 per employee per month.
- 69% of participants enrolled in our Lifestyle Management program have improved or eliminated moderate health risks.
- Between November 2005 and November 2009, 1,302 people enrolled in our tobacco-cessation program, with a quit rate of 44.4%. According to a survey, 93.8% of participants were happy with the results.