Campbell’s Chunky Soup has been filling bellies since the 1970s.
1. In the early 1960s, new research inspired Campbell’s to create a hearty, ready-to-serve soup. The first try was called Campbell’s Stout Hearted Soups in 1967. After one more attempt, Campbell’s Chunky was born in 1970.
2. One alternate name we considered was Campbell’s Fork Soups—because, as our 1970s TV commercials said, “it’s so chunky you’ll be tempted to eat it with a fork.”
3. The first four varieties of Chunky launched in 1970 were Chunky Beef, Chunky Vegetable, Chunky Turkey, and Chunky Chicken.
4. In 1991, we introduced Chunky Classic Chicken Noodle. It received the highest home use test score ever recorded for a new Campbell’s soup product.
5. When you think of Chunky, you think of the NFL, right? Chunky has been the official Soup sponsor of the NFL for many years—but the first athlete to be featured on a can of Chunky Soup was NHL great Wayne Gretzky in 1996!
6. Chunky Soup became the Official Soup Sponsor of the NFL in 1997—the same year they introduced their well-known “Mama’s Boy” advertising campaign that has featured familiar faces such as Donovan McNabb, Dak Prescott, and Saquon Barkley. For the 2023 NFL season the team partnered with Travis, Jason and Donna Kelce.
7. Some like it hot! Inspired by feedback from our consumers, in June 2021 the Chunky team made Chunky Spicy Chicken Noodle Soup—with bold chili pepper flavors and lasting vinegar notes. Since then, the team has introduced an entire spicy line, including Ghost Pepper Chicken Noodle Soup.
Sign up to get the latest company news. Delivered from our family to yours.
To manage your email preferences, click here.