CAMDEN, N.J., Sep 19, 2011 (BUSINESS WIRE) —
Campbell Soup Company(NYSE:CPB) has been named to the Dow Jones Sustainability Indexes (DJSI) for the third consecutive year and to the DJSI World Index for the second time. This independent ranking recognizes the company’s strategic and management approach to delivering economic, environmental and social performance.
Launched in 1999, the DJSI tracks the financial performance of leading sustainability-driven companies worldwide. In selecting the top performers in each business sector, DJSI reviews companies on several general and industry-specific topics related to economic, environmental and social dimensions. These include corporate governance, environmental policy, climate strategy, human capital development and labor practices.
Dave Stangis, Campbell’s Vice President – Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR), said, “Campbell’s CSR objectives over the next decade are intended to support a renewed focus on consumers and innovation, while also becoming a leading corporate citizen. CSR is integrated into our business and culture at Campbell, from nutrition and packaging innovation to environmental sustainability and community programs, where we are working with organizations to create and nurture truly sustainable initiatives to address the important issues of hunger and childhood obesity.”
The DJSI recognized particular progress Campbell has made in the areas of health and nutrition innovation and sustainable packaging. Other key results from the past year include:
- Increased sales of nutrition and wellness product portfolio by more than 20 percent
- Offered 140 different soups, sauces, beverages and pastas that offer a full serving of vegetables (1/2 cup) per serving and more than 200 products with reduced levels of sodium
- Launched a $10 million – 10 year program to reduce childhood obesity and hunger by 50 percent in Camden, New Jersey by 2020
- Distributed more than $28 million in product donations globally
- Spent $145 million with woman and minority-owned businesses
- Reduced water use by more than 150 million gallons
- Recycled 83 percent of all waste generated in production
- Eliminated more than 4.5 million pounds of steel, plastic and paper packaging materials
Campbell’s Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) strategies are intended to make positive impacts in four key areas: Our Consumers, Our Planet, Our Employees and Our Community. To learn more visit http://cts.businesswire.com/ct/CT?id=smartlink&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.campbellsoupcompany.com%2Fcsr&esheet=6865163&lan=en-US&anchor=www.campbellsoupcompany.com%2Fcsr&index=1&md5=14091b7eebbde4c850d73cecad7a861d.
About Campbell Soup Company
Campbell Soup Company is a global manufacturer and marketer of high-quality foods and simple meals, including soup and sauces, baked snacks and healthy beverages. Founded in 1869, the company has a portfolio of market-leading brands, including “Campbell’s,” “Pepperidge Farm,” “Arnott’s” and “V8.” Through its corporate social responsibility program, the company strives to make a positive impact in the workplace, in the marketplace and in the communities in which it operates. Campbell is a member of the Standard & Poor’s 500 and the Dow Jones Sustainability Indexes. For more information, visit http://cts.businesswire.com/ct/CT?id=smartlink&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.campbellsoup.com&esheet=6865163&lan=en-US&anchor=www.campbellsoup.com&index=2&md5=fc553b7e0204b8704e826603a6ca4da8.
SOURCE: Campbell Soup Company
Campbell Soup Company
John Faulkner (Media)